Where has the time gone? If feels like just yesterday that we were enjoying warm weather, music festivals, fishing, boating, sandy beaches and all those many activities that make summer great. But, it’s okay. We have a new season to celebrate!
It’s the holiday season!
Wisconsin is known for colder temperatures and snow-covered streets. But that doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Here in the heart of Wisconsin, Oshkosh has plenty to offer during the holiday season to keep you active and entertained! Check out our list of a dozen things you can do in Oshkosh during the holiday season.
- The holiday season is a time for celebration, unity and spirit. On November 17th at 6:30 p.m., there is an annual tree lighting ceremony in Opera House Square followed by a holiday parade that goes right by the Waterfront Hotel! The theme this year is Whoville-inspired. Even the Grinch came down from his home on Mount Crumpit to celebrate. We think you can too.
- Staying with the Grinch-theme, the 2nd Annual Whoville Holiday Breakfast will be held at Oshkosh Convention Center on the morning of November 19th. You know what they say. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. (Sorry, this year’s breakfast is sold-out but watch for next year’s breakfast.)
- With gift giving being more popular during this time than any other time of the year, who couldn’t use a little extra money? Get a chance to win a $500 Visa card for holiday shopping when you take a picture in front of our Christmas trees located in the lobby of the Best Western Premier Waterfront Hotel. Snap a picture, put in on Facebook and check-in at the hotel. It’s that simple! The contest runs from November 17th to December 21st.
- Keep a look out for the 12 days of Giving! Waterfront Hotel leadership and team members will be participating in fundraisers and volunteering throughout the month of December until Christmas. This is the season of Giving, and we want to do our part!
- Just because the weather is cold doesn’t mean all the farmers markets close down until next year. Feel free to stop down to the Oshkosh Winter Farmers Market for fresh fruit and vegetables. And don’t worry, it’s held indoors!
- Enjoy the classics? Then don’t miss out on The Paine Art Center’s Nutcracker in the Castle running from November 26th through January 8th. Celebrating 10 years of delighting audiences, the Paine presents the scenes of the beloved Nutcracker story within the historic estate. Guests may take self-guided Tours, candlelight tours, and guided tours, with each style of tour offered at separate times. Oh, and there’s hot chocolate!
- A timeless tradition is the Celebration of Lights here in Oshkosh. From November 25th to December 31st, don’t miss this beautiful display of lights in Menominee Park that attracts over 13,000 vehicles each year. This is one that you don’t want to miss!
- For all you sports fans out there, the University of Wisconsin basketball teams will be in the thick of their season during the holidays and always welcome support at their games. Visit the website to see a schedule of their upcoming games. Go Titans!
- On the first Saturday of every month, the streets come alive in Oshkosh. The Oshkosh Gallery Walk, from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m., showcases all of the local art and culture when shop and gallery owners open their doors to the public to show-off all of the spectacular artwork produced by local artists. This is a great opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture!
- Instead of catching a contagious cold, catch a contagious laugh by checking out our local comedy scene. Every Friday and Saturday night, local comedic acts and improvisations perform at the Backlot Comedy House. So even if you are feeling a bit under the weather or the winter blues are getting you down, laughter serves as the best medicine!
- For those who love rich, local history, Deck the Halls is an awesome annual event that showcases the historic Sawyer home in all of its holiday glory. The event will be held on December 30th at the Oshkosh Public Museum. Don’t miss out on being a part of history.
- Our on-site restaurant and lounge, The Ground Round at River’s Edge, will be holding a number of events during the giving season. On Wednesday, November 30th from 5pm-7pm, Ground Round Managers will be serving and donating all their tips to the United Way. Join the Holiday celebration with an “Ugly Christmas Sweater” party on Saturday December 3rd. On that day, 10% of food sales will be donated to the Oshkosh Area United Way. Lastly, keep us in mind for Holiday Shopping! Purchase a “Dinner and a Movie Package” that includes a $50 Ground Round gift card, 2 Marcus Theater movie tickets, & a popcorn voucher all for only $49.99!
With this list of activities, we can’t think of a reason anyone could say, “There’s nothing to do around here,” during the holiday season. But, if none of these appeal to you, please contact us and we will help you find ways to enjoy the area when you’re a guest at our hotel. In the meantime, stay safe and have a wonderful holiday season!